If you are interested in doing your practicum at QMUNITY, please submit a resume, cover letter, and volunteer application to Volunteer Coordinator. Your cover letter should include:
- Your school
- The proposed start and end dates of your practicum placement
- The number of hours you will be seeking to complete
- Any other practicum requirements
- Why you would like to complete this practicum with QMUNITY
- Why you would be a good fit for a practicum at QMUNITY
QMUNITY accepts practicum students from private counselling colleges and social service or counselling-related departments at community colleges and universities. Past students have come from U.B.C., Erickson College, Adler, Counsellor Training Institute of Canada, and The Vancouver Art Therapy Institute.
Practicum students have been involved in organizing and facilitating groups, doing one-on-one and couple counselling, and performing general social work duties. Note: Practicum students must be in the final year of their program and must be able to provide services for clients without direct supervision.
We provide a supportive educational practicum for students while also maintaining a professional and supportive service to the queer community. Therefore, we seek practicum students who celebrate diversity and have a strong knowledge and understanding of the LGBT community.
QMUNITY also takes students on practicum that fall outside of the social service field. We welcome applications from practicum students in the following areas of study:
- Library related studies
- Gender and Sexuality studies
- Office management and support programs
- Computer and technology studies
- Marketing and communications studies
- Event planning and management programs
- Service Learning project programs
Please note: Due to the high volume of requests, practicum students are asked to contribute a minimum of 120 hours towards their practicum.